According to a research study conducted in 2015, older adults tend to use their smartphones for only a fraction of their capabilities like calling, texting, and emailing. They are unaware of the great benefits of apps for seniors.
Applications provide you with the ability to customize your device and maximize its functionality in your life.
Smartphones today, with the help of apps, can do so much more than just those basic functions.
Apps exist in all categories: entertainment, news, helpful tools, games, social, and more.
Finding apps to fit your needs can improve your quality of life, connectedness, and be fun and stimulating.
Also, apps for seniors can relieve caregiver guilt and better connect you, in more ways than one.
Top 5 apps for seniors:
There are more great apps than ever before. Smartphones are capable of so much, and with the help of apps, seniors can enjoy their life-improving benefits.
1. Magnifying Glass with Flashlight (for iPhone, iPad, and Android)
- This app turns your phone or tablet into a valuable tool, whenever you need it. There are a variety of similar apps to this one on the market with varying features.
- This is a top pick because it is free, without annoying ads, and has both an auto-zoom (2x, 3x, 4x, 8x) and a pinch to zoom option (1x to 30x).
- Auto zoom is an excellent feature for those struggling with arthritis and similar ailments.
- The flashlight function is extremely handy for dimly lit restaurants and more.
2. Pillboxie (iPhone and iPad)
- Easy-to-set reminders use pleasant sounds to alert you when it’s time to take you medications.
- Take the stress out of medication by having this app as a personal, med-remembering assistant.
- This app was designed and developed by a registered nurse, requires no network connection to function, and features customizable graphics.
- Medication reminder apps are excellent for anyone who takes medication regularly, especially seniors.
- similar apps exist for Andriod: check out My PillBox
3. Mint – Finance Organization (for iPhone, iPad, and Android)
- Keep all of your finances in one organized, secure place, for free.
- Easy-to-navigate displays showcase your money, bills, and investments in an organized fashion.
- Never miss a due date with reminders and the ability to pay right within the app.
- After a simple set-up process, remember one password instead of tons- or better yet, verify your identity with your thumbprint on enabled devices.
4. Audible – The New Age of Books on Tape (for iPhone, iPad, and Android)
- You can still get a lot of value from your phone or tablet, even when you’re tired of screentime with programs like Audible for audiobooks.
- The constantly growing database of audiobooks is an excellent app for all book lovers.
- Free trial offers usually include one free audio book. This is a subscription based service that includes one free book a month and others at a reasonable cost.
5. Words With Friends (for iPhone, iPad, and Android)
- This game takes the fun of Scrabble into a digital, interactive format.
- Test your word-building skills with specific players you know, or with matched players in the app.
- A social, fun, and brain-stimulating way to enjoy a classic game.
- It’s free!
Whether for yourself or to empower an elder family member, these apps for seniors can get the most out of a phone or tablet. If you want to learn more about caring for a senior in your family, feel free to contact me today!